The chilly, darkish days of winter could be robust in your psychological well being. Among the best methods of mitigating the gloom? Brighten up your home or residence with vegetation. Houseplants, in fact, could be a number of work. The survival of some species hinges on diligent care—to the purpose that they will begin to really feel extra like pets than vegetation. The excellent news (for these of us with out inexperienced thumbs) is that there are a lot of houseplants that require solely primary care and maintenance.
As winter bears down, we received in contact with Erin Marino, editorial lead at The Sill and a houseplant savant, to get the news on a few of these beautiful-but-hardy vegetation. From philodendron to pothos and extra, any of the picks under will make it easier to flip your own home right into a lush refuge this winter.
The Greatest Low-Effort Houseplants
1. The Snake Plant
Should you’ve struggled to maintain vegetation alive up to now, flip your consideration to the snake plant, a vibrant, green-and-yellow magnificence that isn’t solely robust—it’s NASA-approved.
“The snake plant is known for having a spot on NASA’s high ten air-filtering vegetation record,” Marino tells Males’s Journal. “It’s been mentioned to purify indoor air by eradicating toxins comparable to formaldehyde, xylene, and toluene. But it surely’s additionally fashionable for being each low-light and drought-tolerant.”
The snake plant is of course tailored to outlive droughts: It solely must be watered as soon as each few weeks. In reality, the most important hazard with this plant is overwatering it. Marino recommends ready for the plant’s potting combine to dry out earlier than watering. Should you see the leaves wrinkling, that’s additionally an indication it wants water.
- The snake plant does finest in medium to brilliant oblique gentle, however can tolerate low oblique gentle.
- Water your snake plant each 2 to three weeks, permitting the soil to dry out earlier than you water once more. You’ll must water it extra usually in brighter gentle and fewer usually in decrease gentle.
You’ve in all probability noticed pothos vegetation on desks and bookshelves, they usually’re usually positioned fairly removed from the closest window. There’s a motive for that: This resilient houseplant can survive virtually anyplace. The pothos additionally scores factors for being straightforward to propagate—that means you may create extra of them with out shopping for extra.
“I can’t say sufficient good issues in regards to the pothos plant,” Marino says. “It’ll tolerate nearly any setting. It’s even typically known as the ‘cubicle plant’ due to its tolerance to lower than best circumstances like low pure gentle.”
An awesome selection for first-time gardeners, pothos has quick-growing vines that may attain as much as 10 ft lengthy—best for draping over cabinets or livening up any spot that’s in want of some inexperienced. You may also snip these vines and put them in water to propagate new vegetation, says Marino. Higher but, pothos vegetation have additionally been proven to filter indoor air pollution.
- Pothos thrives in medium oblique gentle, however can tolerate low oblique gentle. It’s not fitted to intense, direct solar.
- Water your pothos plant each 1 to 2 weeks, permitting the soil to dry out earlier than you water once more. You’ll must water it extra usually in brighter gentle and fewer usually in decrease gentle.
3. ZZ Plant
The ZZ plant doesn’t get thirsty fairly often as a result of it has built-in water storage compartments known as rhizomes. These vegetation are additionally low-light tolerant, they usually’re an excellent selection if you happen to’re busy, forgetful, or each.
“Having developed in arid environments, these vegetation have developed rhizomes that retailer water to assist them survive droughts of their pure habitat,” says Marino. “They’ll, and really favor to, go weeks with out water.”
- The ZZ plant thrives in medium to brilliant oblique gentle, however can tolerate low oblique gentle. It’s not fitted to intense, direct solar.
- Water your ZZ plant each 2 to three weeks, permitting the soil to dry out utterly earlier than you water once more. Anticipate to water the plant extra usually in brighter gentle and fewer usually in decrease gentle.
Anthurium could be very low-maintenance, however that’s hardly the most effective factor about it. It’s thought of the world’s longest-blooming houseplant, that means it could possibly add a splash of coloration to your area just about any time.
“Generally flowering vegetation could be trickier to look after, however the anthurium’s blooms aren’t precise flowers—they’re modified, waxy leaves,” says Marino. “Its blooms will present up year-round, and every can last as long as eight weeks.”
- This plant thrives in brilliant oblique gentle, however can tolerate medium oblique gentle. Maintain it away from direct solar.
- Water your anthurium each 1 to 2 weeks, permitting the soil to dry out between waterings. You’ll need to water it extra usually in brighter gentle and fewer usually in decrease gentle.
- This plant also can profit from further humidity. When you’ve got a humidifier at residence, place it close by.
The philodendron is without doubt one of the hottest houseplants on the earth, and there’s a motive for that. It’s not solely lush and exquisite; it’s additionally quite simple to look after. Just like the pothos, the philodendron can be straightforward to propagate, that means you may fill your own home with them (so long as you might have extra pots and potting soil).
“The philodendron is one in every of our hottest vegetation,” Marino says. “Its heart-shaped inexperienced leaves, extremely easy-going nature, and quick-growing trailing vines make it a preferred decide for learners and collectors alike.”
- Philodendrons thrive in medium-to-bright oblique gentle, however can tolerate low oblique gentle.
- Water your philodendron each 1 to 2 weeks, permitting the soil to dry out earlier than you water once more. The plant will have to be watered extra usually in brighter gentle and fewer usually in decrease gentle.
For entry to unique gear movies, movie star interviews, and extra, subscribe on YouTube!