Licensed coach and infantryman Chris Kellum has you coated head to toe together with his “Hybrid Warrior” coaching program, designed with the brand new Army Combat Fitness Test (ACFT) in thoughts. First, he provided an upper-body routine right here on muscleandfitness.com; then a workout that blasts the legs, core, and lungs; and most lately, a hardcore deadlift and back workout. Now, he’s blasting your delts from all angles with the shoulder domination exercise routine. Calling it “shoulder domination,” ought to let you know every part you possibly can count on from this circuit exercise.
Featured coach: SPC Chris Kellum is a sniper crew infantryman within the Florida Military Nationwide Guard. A NETA-certified private coach and member of the Bravo Sierra crew, his mission is to encourage others by incorporating health and navy on his YouTube channel and documenting the method of transitioning to a warrant officer to go to flight college. All of his exercises may be discovered on his Playbook fitness app.
Tools wanted: Dumbbells (a number of pairs), landmine (with weight plate), resistance bands, barbell (elective), BOSU ball or stability ball.
Time dedication: Round 50 minutes.
Exercise overview: After an intensive warm-up for the shoulders, Kellum’s exercise breaks off right into a featured power transfer, a trio of three-exercise circuits, after which a core finisher. Right here’s a fast rundown of every:
Kellum’s Shoulder Domination Exercise
Warmup (12 minutes)
Energy (Heavy) Work: Shoulder Press
It is a meat-and-potatoes elevate (urgent a bar or dumbbell overhead) carried out for 4 working units of 10, 8, 8, and 6 reps. You’ll need to work as much as a heavy weight on these to extend your higher physique urgent power.
- Shoulder Press
- 1-2 warmup units
- 4 working units of 10, 8, 8, 6 reps
- Relaxation 90 seconds between working units.
Circuit 1: Lateral Increase + Entrance Increase + Shrug (4 rounds)
These three single-joint strikes are accomplished with hypertrophy-friendly rep counts (15 reps per units) to assist construct muscle and supply stability across the shoulder joint. Preserve the load pretty gentle right here and really feel a superb burn.
- Lateral Increase: 15 reps
- Entrance Increase: 15 reps
- Shrug: 15 reps
(Relaxation 45-60 seconds)
Circuit 2: Rotational Single-Arm Press + Landmine 180s (4 Rounds)
This circuit provides a torso twist to every train to work the core within the transverse airplane, whereas nonetheless working the delts.
- Rotational Single-Arm Press (R): 8 reps
- Rotational Single-Arm Press (L): 8 reps
- Landmine 180s: 8 reps
(Relaxation 45-60 seconds)
Circuit 3: Thrusters + Swings + Planks (4 Rounds)
Every of those three workout routines entails the shoulders, however together with different areas of the physique. Thrusters deliver within the decrease physique, swings the complete posterior chain, and planks core isolation (along with working the delts isometrically). The thrusters and swings can even present some anaerobic conditioning – not at all times enjoyable, however efficient.
- Thrusters: 15 reps
- Kettlebell Swing: 15 reps
- Forearm Plank: 1 minute
(Relaxation 45-60 seconds)
Core Work: Ball Crunch + Heel Faucets + Mason Twist (1-3 Rounds)
You’ll end the exercise with remoted core work to strengthen all of the midsection muscle tissues, together with the abs and obliques.
- BOSU Ball Crunch: 20 reps
- Heel Faucets: 20 reps per facet
- Mason Twist: 20 reps per facet
(Relaxation 15 seconds between workout routines.)
Cardio (Energetic Relaxation)
No formal cardio right here; simply intention to get 10,000 whole steps (strolling) for the day. Right here’s a tip from Kellum on tips on how to simply get that accomplished: “After every meal, go for a 15- to 20-minute stroll — it should enhance digestion, and also you’ll hit your steps.”
- Shoulder Press: This may be accomplished with both a barbell or dumbbells. For a extra “useful” exercise that hits the core, do your shoulder (overhead) presses standing. In any other case, you are able to do these seated.
- Lateral Increase/Entrance Increase/Shrug circuit: These three workout routines may be accomplished with both dumbbells or kettlebells. “In case you sometimes do these lifts with 25 to 35 kilos, subtract 10 kilos,” says Kellum. “Really feel the burn with shorter relaxation and better reps.” That mentioned, you could want to make use of completely different weights for every of the three strikes – a lighter weight for entrance raises and heavier for shrugs.
- Rotational Single-Arm Press: It is a one-arm press with both a dumbbell or kettlebell the place you twist on the torso (within the route of the non-working arm) as you press the load overhead.
- Landmine 180s: Maintain the tip of the barbell in a landmine in entrance of you with arms prolonged. Transfer the bar from waist peak on one facet all the best way to the opposite facet, preserving your arms straight all through and rotating on the torso.
- Thrusters: A entrance squat to overhead press in a single steady movement, you do that transfer with both a barbell or a pair of dumbbells. Give attention to preserving your again flat and core tight all through (don’t let your decrease again spherical).
- Kettlebell Swing: In case you don’t have a kettlebell, use a dumbbell and seize the edges on one finish firmly. Give attention to the hip hinge with minimal knee bend and maintain the core tight.
- Forearm Plank: Preserve your core tight and physique in a straight line from heels to go, forearms involved with the ground.
- Bosu Ball Crunch: The Bosu creates an unstable floor, which makes the core work tougher to stabilize. In case you don’t have a Bosu, use a daily stability ball.
- Heel Faucets: It is a variation of a crunch the place each rep entails touching your hand to the same-side heel. Keep within the “up” place of a crunch all through and carry out a facet bend for every rep. Alternate sides forwards and backwards.
- Mason Twist: Typically known as a Russian twist, sit on the ground along with your toes up, knees bent, and torso and thighs forming a V form. Together with your palms collectively, decrease them to the ground proper off to the facet of your hip by twisting your torso, return to center, and go to the opposite facet. Do reps constantly facet to facet.