Probably the most flavorful hen and rice recipe on the web. Our hen and rice bake is made with juicy hen thighs and a pleasant rice medley so that you get further veggies!
One-Pot Rooster and Rice Recipe
One-pot meals have been all the craze at our home. After I say one-pot meals…I imply meals the place you may get your 1. protein 2. veggies and three. grains all whereas utilizing only one pot.
Our Chicken Casserole recipe for instance simply makes use of a casserole dish. Our Skillet Chicken and Potatoes makes use of only a cast-iron skillet. And, our Instant Pot Pork Roast makes use of simply the Instantaneous Pot.
This Rooster and Rice is not any completely different than our reader-favorite one-pot meals however makes use of a Dutch oven. Should you don’t have a Dutch oven but, we extremely suggest it. It makes one-pot cooking really easy!
What’s Rooster and Rice?
Rooster and rice is a traditional American dish the place you prepare dinner both hen breast or hen thighs and white rice in a dish with broth and seasonings.
Historically, folks use a cream of mushroom soup however we determined to make use of entire substances and as a bonus it lowers the sodium content material as properly!
The perfect type of hen and rice bake is tremendous flavorful and comprises veggies to make it a well-rounded dish (trace trace, this recipe!).
Why Make This Rooster and Rice Bake?
There are such a lot of hen and rice recipes on the web, however I can promise you one factor…this one is 100x the perfect! We examined this extra occasions than you may depend and the flavour is simply out of this world.
Taste: the flavour of this dish is on level. We used a mixture of hen broth, spices, garlic, butter, and Worcestershire sauce to get that extremely savory taste.
One-Pot: there actually is nothing higher than not having to wash one million pots and pans after you prepare dinner dinner. Clear one pot and carried out!
Leftovers: If you’re 1 or 2 folks, you’re going to get a number of meals out of this hen and rice.
Balanced Meal: Protein + Veggies + Grain = excellent balanced meal for any night time.
Kitchen Instruments You Want
You understand you want a Dutch oven for this hen and rice recipe, what what else will make your life simpler?
What’s a Dutch oven?
A dutch oven is a big, heavy pot made out of forged iron. It’s nice for cooking one-pot meals as a result of it retains warmth, which helps prepare dinner your meals evenly.
What can you utilize instead of a dutch oven?
Don’t have a Dutch oven? No drawback! You are able to do just a few issues:
- Use a deep forged iron pot that’s sufficiently big to carry all the things.
- Do the searing in a frying pan after which switch all the things right into a casserole baking dish for baking.
- Use a standard stockpot. Chances are you’ll must barely enhance the baking time.
What You Want
- Rooster: this recipe calls for two lbs. bone-in, skin-on thighs, however you’re greater than welcome to make use of boneless skinless. No matter you like.
- Rice: ensure to make use of lengthy grain white rice equivalent to basmati. We did NOT check this recipe with brown rice and/or immediate rice, however the liquid ratio will range drastically.
- Veggies: greens you want for this hen and rice recipe are carrots, onion, mushrooms, and peas.
- Seasonings: you’ll must whip up a batch of our well-known all-purpose chicken seasoning. Or, you need to use a store-bought type. As well as, you’ll want garlic powder, onion powder, salt, and pepper.
- Secret Ingredient: our secret ingredient is Worcestershire sauce! It’s vinegary and savory and such an incredible taste addition. Don’t have Worcestershire? Strive utilizing balsamic or apple cider vinegar as an alternative.
So, what makes this Rooster and Rice Bake so flavorful?
Oh the burning query of why is that this hen and rice recipe extra flavorful than others? Nicely, let me spell it out for you:
- The hen seasoning we used for the thighs is on level. Not solely does it taste the hen, however it provides to the flavour of the rice and it tastes similar to tremendous flavorful hen and rice camp meals (if you understand you understand).
- Butter – don’t skimp on the butter. It actually does add wonderful taste.
- Worcestershire – and the key ingredient is, Worcestershire sauce. We love the vinegar and savoriness of this ingredient.
Is Rooster and Rice Wholesome?
Home made hen and rice is a wholesome, balanced meal that’s nice for any night time of the week! To make this recipe even more healthy: 1. omit the butter and use olive oil and a pair of. use hen breast as an alternative of thighs.
Rice – this recipe requires basmati white rice, however it should additionally work with jasmine rice. We did NOT check this recipe with brown rice or any type of immediate rice, so avoid these.
Rooster – whereas we 100% favor hen thighs for hen and rice, you’re greater than welcome to make use of hen breast as an alternative.
How you can Make Rooster and Rice (step-by-step)
So, how do you make hen and rice from scratch? It’s SO simple! Bear in mind, scroll all the best way all the way down to our recipe card for the total substances + directions.
- Season + Sear Rooster: Generously season hen thighs with an all-purpose hen seasoning. Then warmth olive oil in your Dutch Oven and sear thighs on either side. The objective right here is to offer them some shade and brightness and to additionally create that incredible crust on the pores and skin,
- Saute Veggies: Add extra butter and olive oil to the pot after which sear garlic, onion, mushroom, and carrots. Don’t prepare dinner them all through, the aim is to simply begin the cooking course of.
- Add All Components: Add in white rice, hen broth, frozen peas, Worcestershire sauce, and the remainder of the spices and blend to mix.
- Bake: Cowl Dutch oven with the lid and bake at 375ºF for about 35 minutes. Take away the lid and use a thermometer to verify the thickest a part of the hen has reached an inner temperature of 165ºF. The rice ought to be utterly cooked and all liquid ought to be absorbed. If not, proceed cooking for 5-10 extra minutes.
hen thigh tip
Bear in mind, hen thighs are available all sizes and styles. We used medium-sized thighs and our prepare dinner time was proper round 35 minutes.
Let hen and rice cool utterly. Then, switch it into a big, glass container. Cowl and refrigerate for as much as 3-5 days in an hermetic container.
Should you’ve acquired the house in your fridge, you may merely retailer your hen and rice bake within the Dutch oven. That’ll prevent just a few dishes!
Are you able to freeze hen and rice?
Should you’re planning to freeze hen and rice, we suggest baking it all through, first after which freeze it.
Let your hen and rice recipe cool utterly. Then, switch right into a freezer-safe container and take away as a lot air as potential. Freeze for as much as 3 months.
Alternatively, you may bake your hen and rice in a disposable tin container and freeze in that.
To thaw & reheat: let casserole thaw within the fridge in a single day. Then, bake casserole at 350ºF for 30-45 minutes or till heat within the center.
- 2 lbs. hen thighs, bone-in and skin-on
- 3 tablespoons homemade chicken seasoning
- 2.5 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 medium white onion, minced
- 2 giant cloves garlic, minced (or 4 medium)
- 4 oz. white mushrooms, diced
- 2 medium carrots minced
- 1 cup white rice (we used white basmati)
- 2 and 1/4 cups hen broth
- 1/2 cup frozen peas
- 1.5 tablespoon Worchestershire sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon floor pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- recent parsley, for topping
- First, preheat the oven to 375ºF. Then, prep hen thighs by patting them dry with a bit of paper towel. Generously sprinkle them with hen seasoning and put aside.
- Warmth 1.5 tablespoons olive oil in a big Dutch oven over medium/excessive warmth. When olive oil is aromatic. Sear hen thighs on either side for two minutes to get them golden brown. Take away from warmth.
- Add 2 tablespoons of butter and 1 tablespoon of olive oil to the pan and use a wood utensil to take away the brown bits from the underside. Then, add onion, garlic, mushrooms, carrots and a pinch of salt and saute for 2-3 minutes.
- Add in white rice, hen broth, frozen peas, Worchestershire sauce, and spices, and blend to mix. Flip the warmth to excessive. As soon as the liquid begins to bubble, instantly take away it from the warmth.
- Place the seared hen thighs on high of the rice and place the highest on the Dutch oven.
- Bake at 375ºF for 35 minutes. Take away from the oven. At this level, the liquid ought to be utterly absorbed. If it’s not, proceed baking for 5-10 minutes till it absorbs. Examine the interior temperature of the hen thighs. It ought to learn not less than 165ºF.
- Choice to broil the dish on excessive for round 1-2 minutes to essentially get the hen golden brown.
- High with recent parsley after which serve instantly.
Serving Measurement: 1/6
Key phrases: hen and rice, hen and rice recipe
Pictures: pictures taken on this submit are by Erin from The Picket Skillet.